"The world is a book, & those who do not travel read only one page" St. Augustine

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page" St. Augustine

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Turbulence

Tubulence helps remind me that when I'm flying 30,000 I'm still human.

I just arrived to Bangkok a short hour ago. It is just short of 1am in the morning here. I finally made it. After 12 months of talking and planning, it is a reality. It hasn't quite hit me yet, but in the morning I will notice a slight difference in atmosphere. The weather is hot and humid, but it beats the cold and gloomy weather of the Midwest. A sigh of relief. The flight situation was rather ironic. Here I was trying to run away from everything I know and who is sitting next to me but my ex. God must know I have a sense of humor because that has to be a practical joke. Of course the company was good and we are still friends, but when you're flying to the otherside of the world to remove yourself from all familiarity how does that work out?
We almost didn't make our flight. The weather was crazy and the traffic was ridiculous. I should have been in the city by 8:30am in the morning to loop back around to O'hare. However, we didn't get to the city until after 9:00am and then checked into our flight just 45 minutes short of departure. Luckily the agents were friendly and helpful. Our bags did make our flight! You think I would be completely prepared before boarding my flight, but I hadn't even called my bank to let them know that I was going to be leaving the country for a few months. I was doing this while waiting to board, but I had to finish my conversation before entering the aircraft due to Japanese regulations. Our flight to Tokyo was about 15 hours. It was a nice easy flight. The staff was so friendly and accommodating. I really enjoyed flying with All Nippon. Even their movie selection was supreme. We had a short 2.5 hour layover in Tokyo and another 5 hour flight to Bankgok. My group leader was waiting for me when I arrived. After a 30 minute cab ride we arrived at our guesthouse. I am the 2nd of the group to arrive. More people will filter in tomorrow and into Friday morning. The weather is hot and humid, but I am already enjoying all the smiling faces of the people. The taxi drove past a few temples and monuments, and I am so eager to start exploring and dig my hands into something new. I'll post pictures soon!

3 comments:

  1. Your safe!!!!!!!:) Thank God for this blog I already have soooo many questions! Did you get to read my card??????

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're safe and enjoying it already. Love you, have fun, and above all be safe (I wouldn't be me if I didn't say it you know that...). <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know you are there safe! Have fun! i am looking forward to reading your adventures! PLEASE BE SAFE!! love you!

    ReplyDelete