"The world is a book, & those who do not travel read only one page" St. Augustine

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page" St. Augustine

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Random Thoughts

This post is not the activities I've been doing; although, they might be mentioned. I promise I will update when we return from our camping trip in a few days. I just wanted to reflect on my experience thus far.

I feel blessed. This whole opportunity is opening my eyes and invoking my senses. I knew coming into this I would make new friends, but I did not anticipate it happening so fast. The group dynamic is phenomenal. Our group leader, Hillary, has really become a mentor and an older sister. I feel so close to many of the people in this group. It's so nice to feel so comfortable in such different settings. Sometimes I forget that I am traveling in Southeast Asia. Then there are times, like on the elephant ride, when I think,"I'm on an elephant in the jungles of Umphang. What are you doing today?" It's remarkable.
The time difference between here and home is funny. When it's Sunday morning, my family is saying good night on Saturday. I know that although my sun is rising and their sun is setting, we both sleep under the same moon. That brings more comfort to me than I can express.
Tonight I went to such a beautiful market in Chiang Mai just outside the city walls. It was the largest I have seen. There were street performers, food vendors, clothing, jewelry and artwork. I love conversing with the locals. Despite the language barrier, there is a level of understanding. I love the people here. I love everything. I know I've said that before, but I feel very inspired.
Despite being on the other side of the world, I have been thinking about my plans back home too. I am really contemplating renting a place in the city for the summer. Sometimes I forget to enjoy the simple pleasures of my own backyard. It's so easy to find excuses not to enjoy them, but being away I remember how great of a city Chicago is. I talk about it with such passion; therefore, I think I will spend as much time as I can in the city. One last summer (so I think).
Anyways, just wanted to take a moment and reflect. I'm happy. I'm eager to get my hands dirty and keep exploring. I feel like everything I worked so hard for is paying off. I don't mean that as in physically going to work or spending money either. I asked the guys if it was overwhelming being with so many girls, and one of them responded, "Isn't being in Southeast Asia overwhelming?"I simply said, "No." To me everyday life is overwhelming. Work, school (now done finally!), family, friends, cleaning, laundry (when I do my own), errands and all those other details of every day life... those are overwhelming. For me Southeast Asia is anything but that. My mind is at rest, and I feel free. I'm not stressed about what we are doing tomorrow. I'm just enjoying the moment and living in today. After all that is what Buddhism preaches. I think it's a good philosophy. Here are some videos for you to enjoy. They're from different parts of Bangkok some of which I have yet to write about...

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having a blast! It's definitely a life experience, I hope to do something similar one day. It's amazing what the world has to offer, all you have to do is open your eyes. If you have time to read on your trip I would recommend to read "A New Earth" by eckhart tolle. It most definitely helped me open my eyes a litte more and see things in a new light....anyways have fun on your trip! I liked your blog, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg chris this is so exciting!!! love u!! the videos are definitely awesome and i feel like i am there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The videos are a great addition to the writings. I have noticed that there is motion in all of them - guess you aren't sitting around contemplating life on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the suggestion Mike! The book sounds awesome, and I love reading :) The videos are definitely a bit shaky half because of the movement and half because it's a new thing for me LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the videos - they add a special touch:)
    So glad to hear you are having a good time - and it is NO shocker that you make friends so easy - THAT is just you :) - You are a PEOPLE person - You are genuine, sincere & beautiful - inside & Out....
    Take Care - Keep in Touch - Miss you and Love you .

    ReplyDelete