"The world is a book, & those who do not travel read only one page" St. Augustine

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page" St. Augustine

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Food Trucks

I feel like I'm a chicken running around with its head cut off! So much to do, so many people to see and so little time left. On a different subject, I am such a foodie. I read this article in the Chicago Sun Times yesterday 
http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhall/3244560-418/trucks-mobile-chicago-chikow-michigan.html. I am so disappointed with the attitude Chicago has towards food trucks. I think the concept is innovative and convenient. This article targets the food trucks as problematic. The reasons are quite petty. The author claims that the food trucks are putting the public at risk. However, he fails to claim how they put the public at risk. There are mentions of folly cab drivers and restricted parking areas, but when did Chicago have tamed cab drivers? I have my doubts that food trucks have caused an increase in the already chaotic driving habits of cab drivers. If loading zones are not being used by other vehicles, what is the harm for a food truck to occupy that space for the allowed time? Meters in the city are expensive, but is $1.25/hour a great loss? What if food trucks pay the meter while they occupy the space? Would the city be more acceptable to the concept? The truth behind the problem is the money. Restaurants that pay rent argue that food trucks will steal business while they still pay high rent in prime locations. The city also requires that the food trucks only sell pre-packaged foods. I think this takes away from the art of the food truck. Other great cities have opened their streets to vendors and food trucks. There are no 10pm curfews and food can be prepared on the truck. With so many talented chef's in Chicago, the opportunities for creative foods on the go are endless. According to Cary Taylor of the Southern, "There're a zillion other things that you could do, and it could bring a new culinary identity to Chicago." I happen to agree!

3 comments:

  1. Dude, I saw the coolest vintage Jeep selling coffee on the street in Colombia. It was painted all colorful, had music, and sold the most amazing espresso, cappucinos, frappucinos, etc. I thought to myself "one of these would do great in New York!!"

    So I bought a1979 Jeep CJ-7 on E-Bay (in 2008) and started making plans to convert the thing. But the bastards at the Dept. of Health have closed the waiting list for the street vendor license and now there is no way that I can get one.. I have even tried paying off elected officials..

    I would be happy to pay meters/fees/whatever if they would just give me the license!!

    So my only option now would be to set the thing up and drive it outside of the city to sell coffee.. Much less exciting, and much less foot traffic. : (

    Well, at least this thing is great in the snow!
    --Christian

    ReplyDelete
  2. The vintage Jeep sounds like an awesome idea! I absolutely love it! The Department of Health makes it very difficult. In Chicago, you have to have prepackaged foods. The trucks cannot have kitchens in them. Isn't that half the fun? Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those trucks in Puerto Rico are very clean and offer the best food in creativity and freshness.

    ReplyDelete