"The world is a book, & those who do not travel read only one page" St. Augustine

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page" St. Augustine

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Today (now yesterday as I finish this post) was officially my first day in Bankok. When I woke up all I could think about was a hot shower. In the bathroom is a sign to use water sparingly because every drop counts. THere's even a request to turn off the faucet while brushing your teeth. Water is something so many of us, including myself, take for granted. This sign put the scarceness into perspective.
After gettign ready my roommate Blair and I headed to the streets. We wandered a bit just absorbing the sights and smells. Wow! Were they delicious!! We settled at a small cafe furnished with simple plastic tables and stools. We both ordered fried rice with fried eggs. To add some extra flavor and a lot of spice, we mixed in a fish oil with fresh chillies. Talk about heat!! My mouth was on fire, but it was delicious!
After breakfast we came back and were able to call home. It was so nice to talk to my parents :) I already miss them! We rested for a bit because we are both a bit jet legged still. I also did some reading. I'm currently reading Little Bee and am finally getting some answer 100 pages into the book! My roommate has already read it and recommends it.
Natalie arrived just before lunch time. When she was washed up and ready the three of us headed to the markets. We went to Khao San Road or the Street of Stories. It was truly an experience. The street is lined with local vendors. It's a shoppers paradise! Thankfully I only have a backpack otherwise I would have bought a whole suitcase full of goodies! Khao San Rd is also a foodie's haven. It's lined with street carts and local restaurants. Don't be fooled though; there is a Burger King that sits at the end of the road. These stores sell anything and everything. The best part is none of the vendors are pushy. They are not annoying. They all greet you with a smile :) They offer fresh fruits, meats fish and pastries. There also cook fresh meals to order. I wonder how Chicago would feel about this concept ;)  For lunch we decided on Pad Thai with chicken. The lady was so sweet, and the food was delicious. For only 40 Baht (Just over $1) we enjoyed hefty plates of food. We continued walking on the strip which was full of energy and life. Khao San Rd is bustlig with backpackers and local merchants. There's a massive crowd yet there's a calmness amongst the chaos. No one is aggressive or pushy or shovey. Every shade of skin is walking the streets, speaking different languages but they all have something in common. Everyone's enjoying themselves. No one's rushing around, everyone is dressed comfortably and leisurely enjoying the day.
Time has no relevance here. It's an odd concept for me. I don't wear a watch, I have no phone glued to my hand, and our room does not have a clock. The concept of time is non existent for the next four months. Usually time is so important to me. I have to be at work at a certain time; I have to make time to run errands; I have to figure out times to see family and friends; I try to have a good time. Timing, is never quite on my side. I say that last one with a bit of hesitation because I've had many blessings in my life., but there's always difficulty with meeting someone (especially a guy) at the right time. I have a tendency to keep my walls up because I don't have time for someone. However, shortly before my trip, I met someone great, someone who gave me butterflies. Our time together was short but fun. Most of that time was spent laughing and dancing. How easy it is to enjoy such time spent with someone. We met just in time for me to leave. Perfect timing! That word has so much power and meaning. It's my goal to lessen its power on this journey.
Fried Bugs Anyone?

That's how the rest of the afternoon went. We ate, we sat, and we walked some more. i had the most amazing hand squeezed orange juice for less that $1. I literally thought I picked the ripest orange from the tree and bit into it. I could get used to this.
I went to the airport with my group leader, Hillary. She has already become more of a mentor. We picked up Isabel whom I was in contact with via Facebook for several months. We walked around Khao San Rd which held a different energy at night. The neon signs lit up the street as the vendors turned their carts into little bars. There was music from every angle. It was fabulous. Today I will finally meet Anastasia. We have been modern pen pals for over six months now. There will be 16 of us on this trip none of whom I know, but I have a feeling we will all become more than just friends.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds absolutely amazing - so glad to hear you are having such a good time.
    ♥U & Miss U

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Chris, I'm loving these posts...minus the fact that you said you missed your parents and not family ;o) Jk. Love and miss you tons! Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. This sounds amazing. I visualize myself with you on your journey. The pictures are outstanding. Miss you, but look forward to your updated travels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. <3 this blog was the best idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading your posts!! im so happy you are having such an amazing time!! miss you!!

    ReplyDelete