"The world is a book, & those who do not travel read only one page" St. Augustine

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page" St. Augustine

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Jungle Thrills

(Thursday) I didn't sleep at all lat night at our camp site in the jungle. I was so uncomfortable because I had to pee, but I didn't want to in the middle of the night. Squat pots are scary enough in the daylight! This whole trip I've been waking up, and it's beginning to annoy me. I was nice and warm with my thermals last night, but I woke up with my throat killing me. Thankfully our guides made us cups from fresh bamboo cups to drink hot tea from :)


We went for a hike to see Thailand's largest waterfall. Along the way, the green jungle was complimented by the harmony of smaller falls. The water was a brilliant shade of turquoise. The large water fall was beautiful. I can't help but use that word. I have found that it has become a lost word in the English dictionary. Often times things are described as pretty, hot or even sexy when referring to a woman. But the word beautiful holds so much power and truth. I won't apologize for abusing the descriptive term on this trip because everything about Thailand (people, food, music, smells, sites, etc) is incredible and deserves the best adjective. Off that tangent, Anna had a waterproof camera, and we took some pictures in the water and jumping off the rocks. She was behind the waterfall and I was in front so she tossed me her camera. However, her throw was very short and the pressure of the falls took the camera down fast. I feel a bit guilty, but there was nothing I could do. Hopefully she isn't too upset! The water is freezing. It's hard to breathe while swimming in it, and my body was covered in goose bumps.
On our hike back, there was a waterfall that's about 30 feet high. Those who wanted could jump off into the water. At first I didn't want to even though I've cliff jumped before. The water is so cold, and having a heart murmur it's not exactly ideal to have your heart stop after jumping in. I nearly gave my dad a heart attack last time I did it. I voted against it, but after watching the first few jumpers I was more than ready. Anastasia and I were going to go together, but when I was ready to jump she was not. I kept reaching out for her hand, but then she decided not to jump. After that, all I could think about was hitting each rock on the way down. I stood up there for too long and lost all my momentum. They gave me a 5 second countdown: on 3 I got in my position, on 2 I did my cross, and on 1 my legs could not move. All my adrenaline was lost :( I didn't jump. Instead I shamefully walked back. I felt like such a coward. I've done this before!!! Thankfully there will  be more opportunities to jump throughout this trip, and I'll be damned if I'm a chicken again.
Blair Jumping
It's amazing how comfortable I feel. I've hardly known these people a week yet I can be around them without my makeup and my hair piled on top of my head. It's starting to look a bit like dreads when it's down from not showering properly. At least it's getting healthier from the lack of products and heat!
As I was writing this journal entry, the only sounds I could hear were the falling leaves dancing in the breeze. It's lovely. Perfect time for a siesta, but we have another three hour trek to the village....
(Later) We arrived at Kho Tha village in just under two hours. We were trekking at a fast pace again. This trek was through the jungle and very scenic. We walked along the river and when I could no longer hear the water, I put in my head phones and walked alone. I wanted some time to think and reflect not only of this trip but of life back home. My mind is in constant conflict. Although I've been able to put it to rest most days here, I cannot ignore it.
Kho Tha village is so quant and prett. The mountains are in the near distance, the huts are made of bamboo, and the roofs are made of black tea leaves. The village is home to 200 Karens and two 7-11s. We're not allowed to walk through the village with our shoulders showing. This is pretty common in Southeast Asia once one is outside the city limits. My nails are filthy. There's dirt underneath them and mud climbing up my leg. It's awkwardly comfortably just like having no technological access.
We took another bath in a river today. I feel refreshed but not clean. This river had many small waterfalls. It's not as cold as the first one we went to today. Brent dislocated his shoulder! OUCH!

1 comment:

  1. Everything sounds so amazing! I finally caught up on all of the posts since I haven't hooked up my internet yet. You're writing is inspiring and your stories leave me, and I'm sure everyone else, eager for more! LOVE AND MISS YOU SO MUCH! <3

    ReplyDelete