"The world is a book, & those who do not travel read only one page" St. Augustine

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page" St. Augustine

Thursday, February 10, 2011

ON THE BORDER




(Thursday) Today we took a van to Chiang Khong to be close to the Laos border. In the morning we will cross the river. Our group has officially been together for two weeks. We walked along the river and had a meeting before dinner. It was mostly a time for us to reflect on pros and cons of this trip. Most of us can only think of the positives of the trip. It has truly exceeded my expectations. I spent so much time searching for the right group to travel with, and I could not have hand picked a better combination of people. Pacific Discovery is something I stumbled upon. When I read the itinerary I immediately knew that it was exactly what I was looking for. It's good to know I actually made the right decision!
We continued walking along the river until we got to our restaurant. The food was good, but some people waited an hour after the first person was served to receive their food. Oh well. What else do we have to do? Food is something that is meant to be enjoyed. It brings good company together where stories and laughter can be shared. The art of eating is becoming lost. Often times we forget to slow down and savor the flavors and the atmosphere. Food is something to be enjoyed not rushed through.
Our guest house is very beautiful but noisy. I do not sleep very good. Naturally a rooster wakes me far too early.

(Friday) We wake up early to get our visas and cross the border before the rush of tourists. There was still a good crowd, and they were pushy. Exchanging money was a nightmare as people shoved and formed lines wherever they pleased.Does two minutes have that much impact on your life right now? They will gladly exchange all of our money!
We were brought to the Boat Landing Guest House in Luang Nam Tha. It is perhaps the most beautiful place so far. While writing in my journal I was sitting on my porch, drinking a BeerLao while enjoying the view of the river and lush gardens. The air is warm and the sun is lowering. We have bungalows along the water. The gardens are so beautiful and colorful. We all eat lunch together in a communal style which is common in Laos. We eat jeows, stir fries and sticky rice. Jeow is fresh herbs and spices ground together into a paste. I ordered the roasted eggplant one which was full of garlic and flavor! I can get used to the food around here.
Luke was my roommate today. We sat on our porch spending our afternoon reading, writing and talking, I was reading on the floor when all of a sudden he asked, "So did you leave a boyfriend back home?" What a heavy question. I was definitely thrown off guard. Hmmm where to begin? So we spent the next hour talking about our exes and how we ended up here.. in Laos, enjoying life. Yes, I had a boyfriend who I mostly broke up with because I was in a selfish state of mind where I was ready to run away from everything I knew and was comforted by for some self discovery in Southeast Asia. I run; it's what I always do. All I knew was that I wanted to finish school and get out. I was so eager to leave, and I didn't really stop to ask anyone for their opinion along the way. I was doing this for me. I dated a bit in between that breakup and the trip. I was too stubborn to let anyone get to close because I was leaving. Someone told me I was a heart breaker, and I remember saying that it's not my fault if someone thinks they can change my mind. I was honest, but I was cynical. I usually am on the subject, but I'm working on it. I kind of made it a New Years resolution to open up a bit. I think it's working out for me so far. I've met so many amazing people. Anyways, Luke told me about his ex and the dating he did in between. We also talked how funny it is that he decided nott o get into anything serious and now he has met an amazing girl in our group, and they are enjoying the company of one another. I think sometimes we meet people at certain times to enhance an experience, to help us get through something or to teach us something we can't quite grasp the concept of ourselves. Some people bring out the best in ourselves, that part we tend to hide for insecurities we may not be so sure of ourselves.

 After that conversation we both needed a beer. We sat and drank some BeerLao and sat on our porch. It was the perfect afternoon. I cannot give the scene any justice because it was to great to put into words. I felt a great deal of peace and calmness. I was planning on renting a bike and going into town, but I did not want to leave. I was so content and relaxed. We sat there until the sun set, and it was dinner time. Isabel joined us shortly before Madelaine. The four of us sat there and talked about everything. Isabel and I decided to try to Lao Rice Spirit infused with herbs. It was extremely potent, and we could hardly bare the taste of it against our lips. It mostly became a communal drink. Dinner was so flavorful. The food here is soulful according to Hillary. I couldn't agree more! Afterward the four of us sat outside on the benches and watched the stars.  We could see so many constellations. The river was quietly rushing and the stars were so shining so bright; could life get any better than this?

No comments:

Post a Comment