"The world is a book, & those who do not travel read only one page" St. Augustine

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page" St. Augustine

Friday, February 11, 2011

LUANG PRABANG

(Wednesday) Another cold dark morning departure, but I was glad to leave that guest house. e were on the boat for eight more hours traveling to Luang Prabang. I'm a bit upset we didn't stop at Pak Ou Caves like we were supposed to. Our guest house here is rustic and charming. Luang Prabang is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and full of simplistic beauty. There's a heavy French influence here. There are over 30 wats, and we visited one of the oldest together. A few of us gathered inside and listened to the monks chant. I was feeling a bit of furry when there was a couple in the middle of the wat disrespecting the norm of the scene. He had his feet pointing at the monks and directly at the Buddha while she had her bare shoulders showing. We have all been traveling and respecting the cultures we encounter. It's important to follow the social norms of each country otherwise locals view tourists as disrespectful and careless. Our group strives to make a good impression and adapt to the local culture when traveling. I really appreciate the emphasis that is places on how we dress and act.
We ate dinner at a restaurant along the river. I had a coconut and garlic chicken. The wait was worth every bite. Food takes a lot longer in Laos because the pace is very slow. I actually enjoy it. I don't feel rushed. I sip on my hot ginger tea to enjoy the moments in between. After we walked the night market. It extends far beyond my eyes can see and offers different products than I have seen throughout the trip thus far.







(Thursday) Today is a free day. I am loving the slow pace and the quaint town of Luang Prabang. Anastasia and I grab breakfast at a corner cafe. I had a Nutella crepe with bananas and a yogurt shake. It's about the only dairy I seem to consume lately. I need my probiotics so I sip the bitter drink.
We later rent bikes with Sam . Anastasia happened to bump into some friends from back home and decides to stay on the beach while Sam and I cycle. It was splendid. I forgot how liberating riding a bike aimlessly can be. The warm sun and cool breeze was set in a perfect combination. I felt so peaceful. We cycled the main areas then went off the beaten bath until we were the only foreigners around. The architectures is so rustic and beautiful. We stopped several times along our ride. There are so many wats that we took a few photographs and walked around a handful of them. At one we were able to sit down and speak to a monk. He is 21 years old and speaks great English. He taught himself by reading books. We talked about our families and our travels as well as the life of a monk.
We continued to ride into the late afternoon stopping for fruit smoothies along the way. Finally we found the old palace and walked around. The main rooms were elaborate and covered in gold. The furniture was lush and made of rich fabrics. There were murals and mosaics that added color and richness. The living quarters, however, were so bland and boring. The king's room was slightly more impressive than the queen's. The second half of the house was comparatively dull. The wat at the palace was very elaborate. Every square inch was covered in gold.
For lunch we decided to eat by the river again. The food was delicious; I had a spicy chili paste with steamed vegetables and sticky rice. Sam and I split a giant coconut that was filled with milk. When we were done drinking it we split is open and ate the white flesh. We went our separate ways until dinner time.




















Many of us dined at the French restaurant. Isabel and I ate as many carbohydrates as possible. For once in my life I don't care what the scale says. In fact, I haven't even looked at one since I left home. I could gain or lose 10 pounds with no shame because the food is too incredible. I enjoyed every bite of the pizza and every spaghetti noodle. There were fresh baguettes too! I indulged on some homemade ice cream that was honey ginger flavored. It was so unique, and my palette is more than pleased.
My body is ready for bed, and I fall into a deep sleep. I'm abruptly awakened by our third roommate coming in at late hours and being loud. A few seconds pass, and I drift off only to be woken up again. This time I was not so pleasant as I heard her hurling repetitively. My first fear was where she was and whether or not she was puking on my stuff. That might sound selfish, but I feel no pity when you bring this upon yourself. The smell is so pungent that I begin to gag myself. She laughs; I want to scream. I make her clean it up yet 10 seconds later the lights are off. I try to filter the air through my sheet, but the smell is unbearable. I cannot handle it, and my anger continues to grow. I wake Blair up and crawl into bed with her because it is somewhat separated from the others. We both wake up yet again to the sound of vomit. A restless night in which I am not thankful for.

Many of us wake up early to watch the monks collect their food for the day. We line up on the sidewalk and sit down respectfully to observe this tradition. Some people try to sell us gifts to give to the monks, but I think it makes a mockery of the tradition. The monks come in several waves all draped in orange cloth.




Shortly after we return to the French restaurant, La Cafe Ban Vat Sene for breakfast. We order the Grande Set which was a delight. We had fresh orange juice, cappuccino, eggs, bacon, croissant, baguettes, fruit salads and homemade jams. Again I indulge and enjoy everything.

Later in the morning, we go to a waterfall. Isabel and I walk around and take pictures. We take a few moments to sit down and enjoy the sound of the rushing water. It's absolutely gorgeous. The water is turquoise. We must have walked for a while because we had about an hour left when we got back to our picnic table. There we ate lunch which comprised of an item each of us brought. I brought cake batter coconut that I found at the morning market. It was a good variety of items, flavors and textures. I didn't get into the water this time because I used all my energy to keep my eyes open. This just frustrated me even more. I would have had a perfect nights rest had it not been for my roommate. I take a nap when I get back only to be woken up by her again.
I crawl out of bed and take a nice, steaming and long shower. It helps calm my nerves before I wander by myself. For dinner most of us cross a bamboo bridge over the river to have a scenic dinner. Isabel and I split garlic bread with cheese for a started. It was so good; I ate each piece one after the other. The taste of garlic warmed by cheese melted in my mouth. The thought of it makes my mouth water now.
A handful of us continued our night at the Hive bar for Anastasia's birthday. I only stayed 20 minutes or so because I was yawning every two minutes. I could no longer stay awake or bare the stories that were being shared. My head needed a rest for the evening.








 (Saturday) I woke up very early this morning. Everyone was still sleeping. I decided to go and enjoy breakfast by myself at the French cafe. I normally hate eating alone, but I am becoming more comfortable with it. Today I sat and drank my ginger tea while enjoying some French Toast and croissant. I read and wrote. Today we are leaving Luang Prabang. I would love to come back here someday. It's so mellow and slow. We are heading to Vietnam in a few short hours. We will take a flight to Hanoi and then a night train to Sapa. Since it is a communist country, there are many regulations. Facebook will probably not be accessible in most places. I haven't had any cell service in about 10 days, but hopefully I will have some in Vietnam. Hope you're all reading this in good health and good spirits!

1 comment:

  1. It all sounds wonderful. Thanks for taking us along.
    Respect is a blog you can write a whole segment on. It's a shame others don't understand the meaning of this word.
    The pictures are magnificent.

    ReplyDelete