"The world is a book, & those who do not travel read only one page" St. Augustine

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page" St. Augustine

Thursday, February 17, 2011

A MOMENT OF SILENCE

Reading or writing may not exactly be a moment of silence, but in my heart I feel deeply saddened. I feel the need to write about what has happened so close to where I am. Our group has come to Halong Bay to spend some time on an island as well as a boat. Today we were transferring from land to sea. Our boat was detoured and for about an hour we sat in the middle of the bay surrounded by gorgeous limestone. We were informed that a boat had sunk the previous evening. None of us were sure what type of boat it was, but we were told not to be concerned. We were informed that we were being detoured because they were only allowing a few boats to pass at a time. As time went on we received more information. We were told that we would no longer be able to stay on our boat and spend the evening on the water because the boat that sank was a tourist boat. It's the same style boat we were to board. Twelve tourists from various countries died. I feel very saddened. My heart goes out to all their families. They are in my prayers.
It feels so odd and overwhelming having such a tragedy happen so close. That could have been us. Our families could have received a life changing phone call. A part of me is overtaken with guilt. This is the guilt of the fear I have put my own parents through. I make plans with no concern for their fear of me traveling. However, this tragedy is not marked by something commonly feared like sex trafficking. Instead, it is marked by the pleasure of sleeping in a cabin on the sea. This activity is so common and a huge tourist attraction in the Halong Bay area. I'm sorry for all the fears that I have caused. I can't imagine the pain that the families will face. I will keep them all in my prayers.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110217/wl_asia_afp/vietnamtourismaccident

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christianna - We love reading about your adventures, although some of them are a bit harrowing!! You are a very good writer, and we love the photos too. Orville says you have more stories to tell than he does!! Take care. Have fun, and come home safely!

    Jan and Orville

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice to hear from you two!!! I miss you both very much. I'm glad you are enjoying the blog :) Thank you for the feedback. I'm not sure if I have more stories! That's a tought competition.

    ReplyDelete